Thursday, November 15, 2012

Some additional views about Kazakhstan

Hi All

I am sorry that I have not updated this blog much in the last couple of days. Hopefully in a few weeks things will be back to normal.

I found this great blog of Joseph Weber, a professor who traveled to Kazakhstan. Check out his blog
http://joeweber.org/tag/almaty/
I found his stories and his observations quite insightful and very well put.

Its almost December, which means it is time for the Almaty Oriental market at the Central State Museum on Furmanova street (1-2 Dec 2012). Four times a year, sellers of all things Oriental come together at this event. Everything from oriental carpets from Iran, Turkmenistan and even Kazakhstan are being sold and other handcrafts, all of which will make great Christmas gifts for those going home over the holidays. I especially love the hand-painted plates and bowls which comes is such amazing colours.
See the picture below of the first one that I bought. They come in various sizes and this one is about 35cm across.





And if there is one thing that I would recommend to everyone staying or visiting this area, is to buy a carpet!!!! They are truly beautiful and come in various colours, textures and price ranges.  Just note that the antique ones can be tricky to get out of the country.... You can even have one made especially for you... or so I have heard : )

I would love to get some feedback, please email me at tulipakz@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. I just spent a week there after visiting a girl I met on the Internet and I had a nice time. I am thinking about going back and this blog gave me some good ideas for the the second time around. I also enjoyed Joseph Weber's blog. Very insightful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete